Saturday, August 3, 2013

Aaron Hernandez jailhouse letter sold for $18,000

The letter in which former New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez proclaimed his innocence resulted in a five-figure profit for the memorabilia store that sold it to TMZ.

According to the Boston Herald, the gossip site paid $18,000 for the letter to Sportsworld, Inc.

Store manager Brendan Brennan said that the handwriting was verified as Hernandez’s.  Though it’s unclear how Sportsworld, Inc. obtained the letter that was sent to an ex-con named “Karl,” Brennan felt no obligation to comply with Hernandez’s request that the contents not be publicized.

“It wasn’t written to us, so we didn’t have to honor anything from that letter,” Brennan said.




Whether or not the letter was legitimate attempt to communicate with the accused murderer or a twisted scheme to make some money is still not clear.

In the letter, Hernandez says that he's 'NOT GUILTY' and that 'all the people who turned on me will feel like crap.'

His response was scrawled on a yellow business pad. Its contents read:

Your letter meant alot and was very true! I know everything happens for a reason and I know 'God' has a plan for me and something good will come out of this. The world just makes things out of false accusations and it will all die down especially when they say NOT GUILTY and all the people who turned on me will feel like crap. I've always been a great person an[d] known for having an amazing heart! I am a strong person and nothing will break me! A [correctional officer] will never nor can they say now for one day have I been down or not with a smile on my face. I know there is a reason I'm going thru this and I will figure it out through my relationship with the Lord. I fell off especially after making all that money but when its all said and done 'God' put me in the situation for a reason. I'm humbled by this ALREADY and this will change me forever. At least I'll know my true supporters. Thanks for being one of them!



Hernandez and "Karl" may not be pen pals for very long since Hernandez closed the letter by asking his new pen pal to "keep this off social media." Too late for that.

Either way, chances are Hernandez will be getting more letters from strangers.  Just don't expect a response.

1 comment: