Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Hannah Storm makes 'magic' return to TV in front of 85 million viewers

Hannah Storm made a courageous return to the television booth when she sat in the anchor chair during coverage of the Tournament of Roses Parade for the first time since suffering severe burns from gas grill explosion just three weeks ago.

The ESPN anchor said she had a "magic" moment before Tuesday's broadcast when she sat for her makeup artist since burning her face, chest, hands and hair in the accident.

"When the makeup artist put my first eyebrow on, I had to resist the urge to stand up and kiss her," recalled Storm.  "I wasn't prepared for that reaction.  It was like magic for me."



The 50-year-old mother of three said she woke at 4:30 a.m. to prepare for the annual parade which was being broadcast live from Pasadena, Calif.

"I wasn't sure how the makeup would feel, how my face would react , how everything would turn out, she said.  "In that sense, I was doing a lot of things for the first time since the accident," she said.  "I'd only been out of my house once before this for Christmas Mass."

Storm, with a bandaged left hand and wearing hair extensions, sat next to co-anchor Josh Elliot and successfully completed the broadcast in front of 85 million viewers at home.

"I'm really happy from a physical standpoint that I was well enough to go on TV," she told the audience.  "At the same time, I don't want anyone to think it's a quick recovery.  I had amazing financial and professional resources at my disposal."



The gutsy Storm plans on returning to ESPN's "SportsCenter" this Sunday and is thankful for the chance to do so.

"When something traumatic happens, to do something normal is such a great benchmark for recovery," she said.  "I'm taking Motrin and really sore.  But I'm happy."

No comments:

Post a Comment