Sunday, October 27, 2013

Dan Snyder offers $20K for fan's customized Redskins van

Washington Redskins owner Dan Snyder has been under a lot of heat lately for his refusal to change the team's name. And his charitable work around the D.C. area sometimes gets lost in the controversy.

One charitable item missing on the team's website is Snyder's offer to a military veteran. The team owner has offered to pay $20,000 for a customized Redskins van owned by 55-year-old Charles Jones, a veteran who was homeless when he purchased it in Feb. 2012.



Jones painted the van after the team's 3-6 start last season, which coincided with the Redskins' run to the division title and the playoffs. But now, financial obligations has Jones selling the van. He posted an ad on Craigslist with an asking price of $13,000.

The Redskins called Jones with the inflated offer while the Washington Post's Sarah Kogod was doing a story on Jones and his vehicle.

“I don't know if that was a gag, or whatever, but he said that Dan Snyder would like to buy the van for $20,000,” Jones told Kogod when he hung up the phone. “That's just what I need.”

Jones continued: “I have my faith, and I've tried to be patient. This means so much. I can pay off my debts, I can help my family. ... And the most important thing, I can finally afford to go visit my daughter and grandkids. That means more to me than anything.”

Kogod was on hand when Jones got the call. Here's his reaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment