Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Jason Heyward's diving catch saves game against Mets

Atlanta Braves center fielder Jason Heyward claims his ninth inning catch of Justin Turner's fly-out to seal the Braves 2-1 victory over the New York Mets Monday night was probably the best of his young career.



Heyward, playing center in his first game after an 11-day rehab from a hamstring strain, came from out of nowhere, racing over from the right-center gap to snag Turner's shot into left-center. He dove and fully extended his big body to catch the ball inches from the ground.

“I knew I had to dive, because I didn’t think it was in my reach,” he said. “As I got closer I thought, obviously you’re going to try to make the play here with two outs, the game on the line. If you don’t catch it, so be it. But fortunately, I was able to get a good enough jump.”

Heyward popped up to show he’d caught it, and teammates hugged Heyward as the stunned crowd at Citi Field raised their hands in astonishment.






No comments:

Post a Comment