Friday, July 26, 2013

O.J. to parole board: 'I've been the best prisoner they've ever had'

O.J. Simpson met with his parole board Thursday and pleaded to reduce his prison sentence after serving almost five years, telling them he deeply regretted robbing two sports memorabilia dealers in a Las Vegas hotel room.

"I just wish I never went to that room," he said. "I wish I just said keep it."

The 66-year-old was handed down a maximim 33-year sentence for kidnapping, armed robbery and other charges in relation to the 2008 incident.

He made an emotional plea to two Nevada parole board members via CCTV yesterday, saying he believes he has been a model inmate.

"I missed my two younger kids who worked hard getting through high school, I missed their college graduations. I missed my sister's funeral. I missed all the birthdays.

"I promised prison officials I would be the best prisoner they have ever had here, (and) I think, for the most part, I've kept my word on that."



The former NFL star and movie actor will learn in two weeks whether or not he will have his sentence reduced. If a majority of the seven-person parole board vote in his favor, he could be given a lesser sentence but will not be freed immediately from prison.

"My intent was not to rob from anybody. I knew both of these guys who had my stuff. I was a little upset with them, and I think I wasn't as civil as I should have been."

A final decision is expected next week.

The best chance for The Juice get cut loose early lies with a pending decision by a Las Vegas judge on whether to grant him a new trial based on claims that his trial lawyer botched his defense and had a conflict of interest in the case.



No comments:

Post a Comment