Friday, June 1, 2012

Revis has Sanchez's back but sees locker room divide ahead

New York Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez picked up a key ally yesterday after the team's best player, Darrelle Revis, threw his weight behind the beleaguered incumbent who is vying with the popular Tim Tebow for the starting job.

"I feel very comfortable and confident with Mark," Revis told the New York Daily News.  "This is his fourth year.  I've been with him since he was a rookie.  The guy took us to two AFC Championship Games."

Revis acknowledged the potential of for a split locker room if Sanchez does not play well, according to Gary Myers of the Daily News.



The All-Pro cornerback is widely considered on of the team leaders and recently sung the praises of Tebow's leadership skills without saying anything bad about his quarterbacking skills.  Still, Revis sounded like he thinks Sanchez is the guy to lead the Jets.

"That's what we know as a team," he said.  "Mark is the leader of the offense and the starting quarterback."

Revis may have been down with Sanchez but it could be a moot point if he doesn't show up in training camp when it begins July 26.  He is still seeking a resolution to his ongoing contract talks and offered a vague answer when asked he will be in camp.

"I don't know.  That's all I'm telling you," said Revis.  "I don't know.  I don't know if I am or if I'm not.  I told you that a while back.  So I'm getting ready for this season."



In 2010, Revis held out for 35 days and missed all of training camp before signing a deal a week before the season opener.  So anything is possible.

Does the surly cornerback see a quarterback controversy brewing?

"It's already started," he said.  "This is something we're going to have to deal with for a couple of years.  We'll see how it pans out."

Asked by Myers if this controversy could spread to the already dysfunctional locker room, Revis said:

"This is what I'm going to tell you: It could cause a problem.  We're not going to sit here and say it can't.  I think our focus is just being positive about the situation and making sure these guys actually get along, which they do, and work together.  That's the only thing you can do.  We win games, everybody is getting a pat on the back.  We lose games , that's where it might cause controversy.  All in all, we're just excited for this year and hopefully those guys will win us a bunch of games."

When asked who the Jets best quarterback is, Revis, in his own un-diplomatic way said, "Me."

"I've been talking to [Tony] Sparano and he's talking about giving me a couple of plays.  He's going to let me throw a couple of balls.  I'm the best quarterback on this team."

If both Sanchez and Tebow falter in the regular season, you just might see #24 taking the snaps.


No comments:

Post a Comment