Monday, August 18, 2014

Nadal pulls out of U.S. Open due to wrist injury: Report

Rafael Nadal has announced he will not defend his U.S. Open crown due to his ongoing recovery from a wrist injury.


In a statement posted to Facebook on Monday morning, Nadal said he won't compete at the Grand Slam event, which begins next Monday in New York. 

I am very sorry to announce I won’t be able to play at this year’s US Open a tournament on which I’ve played 3 consecutive finals in my last participations. I am sure you understand that it is a very tough moment for me since it is a tournament I love and where I have great memories from fans, the night matches, so many things… Not much more I can do right now, other than accept the situation and, as always in my case, work hard in order to be able to compete at the highest level once I am back.

Although the announcement wasn’t a huge surprise, there had been speculation in recent days that Nadal might be able to mount a title defense. He posted training photos to his Facebook page that showed him practicing with a splint on his injured wrist.




Nadal will miss his third Slam in the past two years leaving the men’s field with just four former champions: Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic, Andy Murray and Lleyton Hewitt playing in New York.

It’s only the fourth time in the Open era a defending champion won’t play in New York.

No comments:

Post a Comment