Friday, August 15, 2014

99-year-old great-great-grandmother sets a new world record in 100-meters (VIDEO)

A 99-year-old woman finished last in a 100-meter race Tuesday but set a new world record while running away with the show in the process.

Ida Keeling, a great-great grandmother from New York, broke a record for a 100-meter race by crossing the finish line in a non-wind aided time of 59.8 seconds.


Running at the Gay Games on the University of Akron track in her favorite Nike gold sneakers, Keeling finished nearly 48 seconds behind the winner. But her daughter and coach, Shelley Keeling, claimed that no woman her mother's age has ever recorded a quicker time in an internationally-certified race. 

When she reached the finish line inside Lee Jackson Field, Keeling was greeted by a round of applause and a big hug from her daughter.

"I feel like a puppy. I feel younger now than when I was in my 30s and 40s," the senior said after competing against women 75 years her junior.

Keeling, a Bronx native whose husband died of a heart attack at the age of 42, decided to take up running at the age of 67.

"Every year I am going to keep doing what I am doing, and when running time comes, if I feel I am ready, I will go at it," the 4-foot-6 Keeling said.

She turns 100 next May.


1 comment: