Saturday, September 22, 2012

Jeter calls talk of leaving Yankees 'comical'

Derek Jeter isn't going anywhere — that is unless the New York Yankees organization isn't prepared to whip out its wallet and pay the Yankee-for-life.

Last night Jeter clarified comments he made about leaving the Yankees a day after stories surfaced about that possibility when his contract expires after the 2013 season.

In an interview with ESPN's Rick Reilly, Jeter was asked, "Peyton Manning changed teams this season after 14 seasons with one team.  Could you see yourself doing that?"

Jeter responded," Well, if I wanted to keep playing, yes.  It's a business.  People forget that."

The Captain's simple answer set off a maelstrom of panic in the Yankee Universe.  What did he mean by that?  Is he leaving?  Is he retiring?

Jeter set the record straight Friday night before playing the Oakland A's at Yankee Stadium and put his fans at ease.

"I'll tell you what went down. I was asked about Peyton Manning, going from Indianapolis to Denver," Jeter told reporters.  "The question was in reference to if the organization doesn't want you around anymore, do you still want to play?  You have no choice but to go to another team, I think it's common sense.  I'm glad you guys had fun with it.  It was about Peyton Manning.

"I think it's comical that we're talking about it after I told you guys time and time again, I can't picture myself playing anywhere else, have fun with it.  It's a business; there are two sides to a business, that's what the reference was.



"I've been asked this question 100 times and I told you guys the same thing."

Asked again if he wants to finish his career wearing pinstripes Jeter said," That's what I told you my whole focus has been since Day 1 so why are we even talking about it?  I think its comical after I've been pretty vocal every time [I've been] asked the same question.  It's eve more amusing that we're talking about it now."

Are the contentious negotiations with the Yankees before the 2011 season still a sore spot with Jeter?

"Come on now," said Jeter.  "There was joking around the whole interview.  It's not really a big deal.  Have fun with it as much as you like.  I understand I was on the front page, back page.  Then you guys wonder why I don't tell you anything.  I don't answer any questions because something like this happens."

The 38-year old Jeter, who extended his hitting streak to 15 last night, is swinging the bat like he was a decade ago.  By the end of this season, he should only be about 700 hits short of his quest for 4,000.

Don't expect Jeter to pass anymore milestones wearing anything but pinstripes.


2 comments:

  1. Get over it Jete. It's yellow journalism.

    Soriano's leaving, Cano's PED and now you...anything about you.

    These scandalmongers have nothing better to print in the midst of a most exciting pennant race. GOOD GRIEF!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Player-manager some day -- maybe after the current contract expires.

    ReplyDelete