Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Robinson Cano dumps Scott Boras, becomes first client of Jay-Z's Roc Nation

Robinson Cano announced today that he has fired super-agent Scott Boras and will be joining Jay-Z's newly launched sports agency Roc Nation.  The New York Yankees All-Star will be Roc Nation's first client.

Roc Nation Sports will be led by the rapper with Juan Perez serving as president. They have partnered with CAA Sports, a division of Creative Artists Agency to co-represent the second baseman.



“Because of my love of sports, it was a natural progression to form a company where we can help top athletes in various sports the same way we have been helping artists in the music industry for years,” Jay-Z said.

Cano is a member of the Yankees' 2009 World Series championship team, a four-time Silver Slugger Award winner, and two-time Gold Glove Award winner on the verge of a huge payday.

“At this point in my career, I am ready to take a more active role in my endeavors both on and off the field,” said Cano. “I am confident that the pairing of Roc Nation Sports and CAA Sports will be essential in helping me accomplish my short- and long-term goals. I am making this important decision now so I can keep my focus on helping the Yankees succeed in 2013, while minimizing any distractions for me and my teammates."

Cano would become the third Yankee to cut ties with Boras but, unlike Alex Rodriguez and Mark Teixeira before him, he is leaving before signing a big contract that Boras brokered.

For some reason, Cano's hookup with unabashed Yankees fan Jay-Z sounds like good news for the Bronx Bombers.

No comments:

Post a Comment