Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Mets' Duda tells Harvey he's sorry for messing up no-hit bid

Lucas Duda took all the blame for the mix-up at first base which, at the time, cost starter Matt Harvey a chance at getting a no-hitter yesterday.

Duda sought out Harvey after Tuesday afternoon’s game and apologized for the seventh-inning gaffe. Playing first base for the second straight game, but only the second time this season, Duda felt his misplay denied the young Mets pitcher a no-no.

“It’s absolutely, 100% my fault,” Duda said after Harvey ended up giving up three runs and three hits. 

“I take full responsibility right there. I shouldn’t have left the bag, it’s my fault. I should have read it better, should have been an out. I’ll take all responsibility for that.”


Jason Heyward’s high chopper up the first base line to lead off the seventh caused confusion between the pitcher and Duda, who charged the ball. When Harvey grabbed the ball, Duda was next to him and no one was covering first base.

“Matt had a pretty good jump on it, I didn’t read it very well, and we gave up that hit,” Duda said. “That hit’s on me.”



Manager Terry Collins got Duda off the hook. “On an in-betweener like that, he can’t assume the pitcher’s going to get it,” he said.

Harvey also said the ball had a weird spin on it, bouncing a bit backward toward home plate, which he felt prevented him from being able to run the ball to first base. He also did not think he could have tagged Heyward as he ran by.

The Mets held on for a 4-3 victory for Harvey's sixth win of the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment