Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Derek Jeter announces 2014 season will be his last 

Derek Jeter will officially retire from Major League Baseball as a New York Yankee after the 2014 season.

Jeter posted a lengthy letter to fans on his Facebook page Wednesday, informing the world that he plans to hang up his cleats after the upcoming season.

"I want to start by saying thank you," the iconic Yankee captain's letter began before saying, "Now it is time for the next chapter."



Just months after watching Mariano Rivera and Andy Pettitte retire, the last active member of the famed Core Four announced that he will walk away from the game wearing the same pinstriped uniform he wore his whole storied career.

Casey Close, Jeter’s long-time agent, confirmed in an e-mail to the NewYork Daily News that the post did indeed come from Jeter.

“Last year was a tough one for me,” Jeter wrote as part of the post. “As I suffered through a bunch of injuries, I realized that some of the things that always came easily to me and were always fun had started to become a struggle. The one thing I always said to myself was that when baseball started to feel more like a job, it would be time to move forward.

“So really it was months ago when I realized that this season would likely be my last. As I came to this conclusion and shared it with my friends and family, they all told me to hold off saying anything until I was absolutely 100% sure.

“And the thing is, I could not be more sure. I know it in my heart. The 2014 season will be my last year playing professional baseball.”



Jeter, who will turn 40 in June, has been the Yankees’ starting shortstop since 1996. He was named Captain by George Steinbrenner during the 2003 season, becoming one of the most iconic players in franchise history and the face of Major League Baseball.


No comments:

Post a Comment