Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Jets owner on Namath: 'I don't really listen to him for advice'

Amid all the hoopla surrounding the arrival of Tim Tebow to the New York Jets have been the criticisms of team owner Woody Johnson by Jets icon Joe Namath.

Johnson has been defending the trade and is adamant that Tebow will not replace Mark Sanchez as the Jets starter.

Namath has criticized the move and last week said, "I think it stinks" and Sanchez should consider it "a slap in the face."

Yesterday, Johnson told the New York Daily News he isn't concerned  about the criticism from Namath— who called the trade a publicity stunt.

"I don't really rely on Joe for any advice on the team," Johnson said.  "He is the most famous player that we've had.  I love Joe.  I think he's great, but I don't really listen to him for advice."



Namath, meanwhile, has tempered his views on the over-hyped Tebow-mania.

"I've changed my mind slightly," Namath told Fox Business Network yesterday.  "He's the biggest star, one of them certainly, in the game today, so I think the Jets have done a terrific thing here in bringing the Jet fans a real star.  Now, can the star continue to play football and contribute properly without disrupting what they have there at this time?"

Johnson took umbrage yesterday when two reporters asked whether Sanchez could be benched in favor of Tebow if he struggles.

"I'm going to be very clear," replied Johnson.  "Mark Sanchez is our quarterback.  Period. That's it."

Namath said he thinks the Jets needed change at positions other than quarterback and took a little jab at the team's front office, remarking, "There's an old saying amongst players in football talking about your general manager and coaches, they speak with a forked tongue."

No comments:

Post a Comment