Tuesday, April 8, 2014

First and last time you'll see Derek Jeter dog it to first (VIDEO)

During a season that will be filled with lasts, Derek Jeter may have committed a first during Monday's opening season game at Yankee Stadium.

For the first time in memory, the celebrated hustler didn't run hard to first base after hitting a long fly ball to leftfield in the fifth inning. The lackadaisical effort had some fans wondering if Robinson Cano was back in pinstripes.

Even YES announcer Michael Kay had to ask out loud, "How rare is it to see him (Jeter) break it down."



Jeter thought his drive was going to be a home run. But it banged high off the wall, and he had to hustle to just make it into second with a headfirst dive.

Here's video of the Yankee captain admiring the ball, then uncharacteristically moseying down to first before hitting the gas for a double.


"When I hit it, I thought it was a home run," said Jeter after going 1-for-4 in the Yankees' 4-2 victory over the Orioles. "I hit it pretty good. I think the wind played some tricks on it. Played some tricks on a few balls today.

"I thought it was a home run, then I thought it was going to be foul. And the next thing you know, it ricocheted right to the leftfielder, so I had to pick up the pace a little bit.

"There were some guys laughing. Until a couple of them hit some balls and the wind got them, too."

Jeter, who scored the Yankees' third run on a single by Jacoby Ellsbury, recognized how odd it was for him to be the one who could be accused of not giving 100 percent on the field.

"Maybe you get caught up in Opening Day and I thought it was a home run," he said. "I hit it good enough to be one. It just wasn't. It didn't go out.

"Yeah, you probably haven't seen it. You won't see it again. What can you do? I was safe. It would be a lot more embarrassing if I was out. I did make it, so I'm fine with it."

Like I said, first and last time.

Here's the call by the Yankees announcers:

No comments:

Post a Comment