Monday, June 16, 2014

Professional wrestling legend Pat Patterson reveals that he's gay (VIDEO)

In an emotional confession to some of his fellow wrestlers, WWE legend Pat Patterson came out and revealed that he was gay.

Patterson came out during a scene in the WWE reality series Legends' House, while seated at a table with wrestling royalty like 'Hacksaw' Jim Duggan, 'Rowdy' Roddy Piper, 'Mean' Gene Okerlund and Jimmy 'Mouth of the South Hart.'

They all teared up while the Canadian-born Patterson shared his long-held secret.

The 73-year-old wrestling star said he'd kept his sexuality a secret for the last 50 years, but now says "for the rest of my life, I want to be happy."



"From where I come from, when I had nothing, no family, no money, and I ended up with Vince [McMahon], working in the office, to me that was the biggest achievement of my life," Patterson told his fellow former wrestlers.

Patterson began his career in the ring during the fledgling days of pro wrestling in the 80's and, during the twenty year span, his matches with Sgt. Slaughter became the stuff of legend.

But Patterson knew that his life outside of wrestling was more complicated than any of his opponents could fathom — and it included a "friend" of 40 years, who recently died from a heart attack.

"Sitting here tonight I'm going to say something and I would never want to say publicly, but being here with you guys, for once in my life, I'm going to be me now," he continued. "I survived all this being gay."

Many of the macho former wrestlers appear to wipe their eyes when they recognize how hard being gay in the wrestling world at a time when homosexuality wasn't nearly as accepted as it is today — especially given the industry's testosterone-fueled persona.

"I survived the business. I did, I'm so proud of me," he said while wiping away tears. "It's tough guys, it was tough."



Patterson's announcement comes as homosexuality in professional sports is becoming increasingly accepted.



No comments:

Post a Comment