Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Rutgers AD Pat Hobbs chugs beer on stage at football tailgate party before it gets shut down (VIDEO)

Three days after Rutgers Athletic Director Pat Hobbs chugged a beer on stage before a pumped up parking lot crowd prior to the Scarlet Knights football home game against New Mexico, the Big 10 school has decided to suspend the student tailgate festivities for the rest of the season after only two games because things have gotten so out of hand.

Last Saturday's game drew about 500-800 students but ballooned to nearly 3,000 after word spread about the school-sponsored event.


A video shows Hobbs with a microphone addressing the crowd at the event when somebody offers him a drink.

“No I can’t drink that right now,” Hobbs said as the crowd continued to egg him on until he eventually downed the brewski.

“Hold on,” Hobbs said as he cracked open the can. “I am of age. If they card me I’m okay. Go R-U.”



Rutgers University police chief, Kenneth Cop (that's his name), said citations were issued to a total of four people during the course of the tailgate.

That's when Hobbs apparently arrived and took the stage to try and calm the crowd before succumbing to student peer pressure.

"I regret that any action on my part can be interpreted as promoting the use of alcohol,'' Hobbs said. "That was certainly not my intention.''


Hobbs apologized for his behavior, claiming in a statement that he was just trying to restore order to a tailgate party that was reportedly getting out of control.

“My first concern is always for the safety and well-being of our students,'' Hobbs said. "Anyone who was at the (student tailgate) Saturday knows that I was acting to ensure that.''

No comments:

Post a Comment