Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Runner prematurely celebrates before crossing finish line ... and loses (VIDEO)

Oregon's Tanguy Pepiot just joined that exclusive club of athletes who basked in the glory before even finishing the race — resulting in a hilarious defeat.



Pepiot started a premature celebration about 50 yards from the finish line of last weekend's men’s steeplechase at the Pepsi Team Invitational when the roar of the crowd started getting to his head.

Too bad the cheers weren't for Pepiot and were for Washington’s hard charging Meron Simon who used the opportunity to close the gap and pass a waving Pepiot at the ribbon.



Runner Space interviewed Pepiot, who said he didn't know how close Simon was behind him before his finish line fail.
"I thought I was by my self, like, far in front of the second guy," Pepiot said. "I saw [Simon] on the screen, I tried to pick up, he just got me on the line. I'm not proud of myself right now, but it's a good lesson for me, I think, not to do this in the future. Next time I'll just run the whole final stretch and celebrate in the victory lap."
After the race, the victorious Simon had the courtesy to hoist the fallen Pepiot from from the track. But he couldn't lift away the shame.



Here's a suggestion for next time: rear-view sunglasses.

No comments:

Post a Comment