Thursday, November 6, 2014

High school football player flagged for praying after touchdown (VIDEO)

A Florida high school football player was flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct after scoring the first touchdown of his career and going to a knee with raised arms in the end zone.

17-year-old Sam Turner said the gesture was meant for a teammate who was killed in a drive-by shooting last year.



During the second quarter of Ft. Myers' 49-0 rout of Riverdale Friday night, Turner scored on a 27-yard pass from Dylan DeGroot and briefly dropped to a knee in prayer in the end zone (Video below). He pointed toward the sky in tribute to his dead friend, Jo Jo Brunson, and instantly drew an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty from an official.



“I told God that after the first touchdown I scored I was going to give him the glory” Turner said. “I said ‘thank you, God, for this talent you’ve blessed me with.’

“I threw up a No. 1 for Jo Jo to honor him on Senior Night (Brunson was honored in a pregame ceremony).

“The official threw the flag. The official told me I was drawing attention to myself with a celebratory action.”

Turner’s raised arms gesture has been drawing mostly positive feedback. Turner is a member of Next Level Church and one of nine siblings.

“It’s very cool to see how everyone is taking it,” he said. “I use my faith as a platform for my talents. My teammates are giving my tons of support. They all know I’m strong believer, even though it cost us 15 yards.”

And Turner isn't the first.

The NFL apologized for penalizing a Kansas City Chief player for praying after a touchdown in September.

Husain Abdullah, a devout Muslim, was penalized for "unsportsmanlike conduct" after he knelt down during a game against the Patriots.


No comments:

Post a Comment