Friday, October 17, 2014

High school runner carries injured opponent across finish line (PHOTO)

If a picture says a thousand words, then this photo of a cross-country runner carrying an injured competitor across the finish line during a North Dakota race speaks volumes about the true meaning of sports.



The amazing show of compassion happened Saturday at the Eastern Dakota Conference’s Cross County Championship. Fargo South runner Danielle LeNoue was nearing the final stretch of the race, when she felt a pop in her knee. She crumpled to the ground in pain,. It was an injury to her patella tendon.

“I started walking, and I could not go any further,” she told ABC affiliate WDAY-TV in Fargo.
Devils Lake senior runner, Melanie Bailey, encountered the fallen competitor. While others ran past, Bailey stopped.

“All I could think about was she was in a lot of pain. And I wanted to help her,” Bailey said.

Bailey asked LeNoue to hop on her back. That’s how the two crossed the finish line, with Bailey carrying a sobbing LeNoue.

“Honestly, I loved the way I ended it,” Bailey said. “It was a great way to end my cross-country season.”

“It’s pretty cool,” LeNoue said. “Touching moment for myself.”

No words are necessary.


1 comment: