Sunday, July 27, 2014

Marlins shortstop catches liner off pitcher's back for out (VIDEO)

This is one play that gives the phrase having your teammate's back new meaning — literally.

In the third inning of Saturday's  Astros-Marlins game, with nobody out and runners at the corners, Miami starter Tom Koehler tossed a 1-2 pitch that Houston DH Chris Carter shot back to the pitcher's mound. Koehler tried to get out of the way, but could only manage to turn his back before being struck by the ball, sending it high into the air.

Shortstop Adeiny Hechavarria managed to track the ricocheted ball down and catch it for the unusual out.



Luckily for Koehler, who didn't know what happened on the play, he wasn't injured and actually went on to strike out the next two batters.

"It was kind of weird," Koehler said later. "It kind of just used my back as a ramp to get to Hech. After icing my shoulder, my shoulder was redder than my back. There wasn't even proof that I got hit, which I guess was good."

Good enough to get out of jam.

No comments:

Post a Comment