Thursday, June 5, 2014

Don Zimmer remembered fondly by Yankees after game (VIDEO)

The Yankees not only lost a game Wednesday night to the Oakland A's at Yankee Stadium, more importantly, they lost a valued member of the team's family.

During the game, the players and manager Joe Girardi learned of the death of former Yankees bench coach and mentor to many — Don Zimmer.



After the game, an emotional Girardi and Derek Jeter talked about the man who meant so much to both of them.

Zimmer was Girardi's first manager in the big leagues with the Cubs, was a coach when Girardi was with the Rockies and recommended that the Yankees acquire Girardi before the 1996 season.

"Great baseball man," a teary-eyed Girardi said of Zimmmer, who was 83 when he passed away at a Florida rehab center. "Baseball lifer. He was a mentor to me and I had him 10 out of my first 11 years in the big leagues. So wherever he went I went. I always thought he looked like my grandfather -- build a lot alike, same height, same forearms. My grandfather had a full head of white hair, though. That was probably the biggest difference.

"He taught me a lot about this game. Close friend, and I'm gonna miss him."


Jeter also had a special relationship with Zimmer. The Yankees captain used to rub Zimmer's bald head for luck before games.



"It's a tough one to swallow," Jeter said. "Everyone knows how much Zim's meant to our organization, but [also] to baseball as a whole and our thoughts and prayers go out to his family. It's tough news and I'll miss him."

Zimmer, who still worked as a senior adviser for the Rays, would visit with the Yankees when they played at Tampa Bay.

The news came in the middle innings, Jeter said. The Yankees still had a game to play, but they were not able to overcome another poor performance by the bullpen after taking a 4-0 lead in the third inning.

For a lot of reasons now, that doesn't seem so important.






No comments:

Post a Comment