Saturday, May 24, 2014

Mark Sanchez's Buttfumble jersey sells for $820 at auction: Report

The 2012 Thanksgiving game between the Jets and Patriots will always be remembered by New York fans as the apex of humility in Gang Green football — highlighted that day when quarterback Mark Sanchez hilariously ran head first into the backside of teammate Brandon Moore.

It doesn't seem like a year and a half since the infamous Buttfumble, but now a Jets fan named Jake Hendrickson inadvertently came across a sweaty part of the game and paid $820 to immortalize the occasion, reports NJ.com.



Hendrickson, who lives in California, happened to be browsing the NFL auctions website last week when he noticed a game-worn Mark Sanchez jersey was available. But what really caught Hendrickson's eye was the date: Nov. 22, 2012.

Buttfumble Day.



Hendrickson explained what he had to do from there to Metro New York's Kristian Dyer, who wrote it up for Yahoo's Shutdown Corner:

"There's no way I could let it get in the hands of an anti-fan or something of that manner to be shoved in our face. The auction itself had like five days left on it before it closed so basically I set an alarm on my calendar to remind me an hour before so I could be at my computer. I was prepared for an all-out bidding war. There were a couple other people I was bidding against but it being the offseason I don’t think there were many people looking for football memorabilia so it didn’t go nearly as high as I had anticipated. Plus every time someone would outbid me by $5 or $10 I was raising by a hundred bucks just to show I meant businesses.”



Hendrickson said he plans to frame the jersey and stick it on his wall. "Until we win a Super Bowl," he told Dyer," or I can get together enough money to put it on a rocket ship and shoot it to outer space because I don’t think it belongs on this planet anymore."

And at least it won't fall into the hands of some scheming New Englander.

No comments:

Post a Comment