Friday, March 7, 2014

Aaron Hernandez charged with assault and battery after beating up handcuffed inmate: Report

The charges keep piling up for Aaron Hernandez even while the former NFL star is still behind bars. The Bristol County Sheriff announced on Thursday his office has filed a complaint to charge Hernandez with assault and battery after fighting another inmate who was reportedly handcuffed at the time, reported WHDH-TV in Boston.

The former New England Patriots tight end, who has pleaded not guilty to the shooting murder of Odin Lloyd, has been moved to a special isolation unit at the Bristol County jail where he's being held without bail.

He was moved after the February 24 fight and will remain in the unit for at least 30 days, according to NECN.

The 23-year-old Hernandez was not in cuffs at the time of the altercation with the other inmate. The attack happened  after the pair had been exchanging taunts in the days leading up to the incident.

The other inmate is not facing charges.

The sheriff's office has filed a complaint against Hernandez. A magistrate will decide if he will face a hearing.

Sheriff Thomas Hodgson told NECN that a full investigation is underway to discover why the two inmates were both out of their cells at the same time. 

"I'm not happy that there may have been a breakdown in our system and our protocols," he said.

Hernandez is being held in a similar cell to his previous one but has had several privileges revoked.

He spends 23 hours of the day in his cell which is furnished with a double bunk bed and stainless steel toilet. He takes all meals in his cell and cannot undertake any recreation unrestrained with handcuffs, waist-chain and leg irons. 

He is allowed three showers a week and one hour of recreation per day. 

Hernandez has been in prison since June 26 awaiting trial for the death of Lloyd.

He is also being sued by the families of two men who were killed in a 2012 drive-by shooting outside a Boston nightclub.

No comments:

Post a Comment