Monday, September 30, 2013

Tennessee fencing coach foils robbery using his sword

A Tennessee fencing coach halted a robbery when he chased of two crooks with his sword through a shopping center.

Franco Scaramuzza pulled into a Nashville shopping center last week and saw two men pepper spray a couple and then take off with the woman's purse, local WSMV-TV reported.

"The first thing that went through my head is somebody should do something, and that's when I got really upset and disappointed with myself, because I realized I had the opportunity to do something," Scaramuzza said.

"And I didn't want to be a hypocrite who just tweeted about it," said the modern version of Zorro.



The fearless swordsman, who had just finished practice and was still in his fencing gear, grabbed his weapon from the backseat and ran towards the robbers.

"I charged towards them, holding my épée (sword) up high, and, you know, yelling at them," he told the station.

"I kept yelling throughout the entire thing. They completely panicked and dropped everything they stole and really took off."

Cops caught up to the suspects, Michael Butt and Zachary Johnson, a short while later.

Both were charged with robbery and were being held on $50,000 bond apiece.



Scaramuzza, who works as an art director, credited his fencing training for honing his swashbuckling skills.

"You have to overcome your own fears," he told WSMV-TV.

Errol Flynn couldn't have done it better.



No comments:

Post a Comment