Saturday, August 3, 2013

Girardi still has concerns regarding Jeter's health

It only took a couple of plays from Derek Jeter Friday night to convince Joe Girardi to admit he still has some concerns about his shortstop’s health. After a week into his comeback from a Grade-1 quadriceps strain, Jeter has looked slow on the base paths and awkward at times in the field.

“As we’ve talked about, he’s coming back from a leg injury,” Girardi said after a 7-2 loss to San Diego on Friday. “And I’m not so sure it’s 100 percent. But he’s trying to grind through it for us.”

Jeter responded to his manager's remarks in predictable fashion.

“I am alright,” he said after going 1-for-4 in the loss. “Like I told you, if I play, you don’t hear anything about it. I played. So I’m good.”



The first play involved a slide into third. Jeter appeared to drag his buckled right leg as he lunged into the base as he went first to third in the first inning. He chalked up the result to a last-minute decision to slide.

“It didn’t look too good,” he said with a grin. “I was going to stand up, but I tried to slide to slow down.”

The second play occurred in the seventh inning. Jeter fielded a grounder from catcher Nick Hundley and attempted to make a play at second. But he stumbled in his delivery and flung an errant throw past the bag allowing outfielder Logan Forsythe to reach safely.

"It wasn’t an awkward step," Jeter said. "He was running on the play, and he got there a little quicker than I thought. I tried to rush it, but threw it high. But it wasn't being awkward."

Jeter made his fourth straight start at shortstop after being activated from the disabled list. Since hitting a dramatic home run and single in his first game back, Jeter was 0-for-9 until a first inning single Friday night.

As usual with the Captain, this is one battle Girardi isn't going to win.



No comments:

Post a Comment