Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Matt Harvey starts game with bloody nose and finishes with near perfection

Calling Matt Harvey bloody good last night is an gross understatement. And by gross, I mean nasty — in every sense of the word.

After the start of the game was delayed by Harvey's bloody nose, the New York Mets pitcher went out and made the Chicago White Sox see more red.  The Mets' right-hander finished the game with this line: Nine innings, 12 strikeouts, a single hit allowed and one blood-streaked jersey.

Harvey got a no decision for his near perfect performance after the Mets beat the Sox 1-0 at Citi Field in 10 innings.



Harvey said his bloody nose, which he suffered frequently as a child, began in the pregame and started up again in the first inning, but he didn’t let it distract him. 

“I knew something was running, obviously, when I wiped my sleeve and saw it was red it was a telling sign, something else was coming out except for snot,” Harvey said. “(The trainers) shoved up as much stuff up there as they could. 

“I got them all the time when I was growing up and unfortunately they are coming back,”
Harvey said. “I will have to see what I can do about them.”



The Mets scored the only run in the 10th for the walk-off victory but it's too bad Harvey did not get credit for the win. At least on the win-loss stat sheet anyway.


No comments:

Post a Comment