Friday, December 14, 2012

Braylon Edwards shocked that Jets 'idiots' signed him

Braylon Edwards practiced with the New York Jets for the first time Thursday and was more stunned than anyone that he was back with Gang Green.

After passing his physical, Edwards finally joined the team yesterday, after being claimed on waivers from Seattle, and only a week removed from calling the Jets decision makers "idiots" on Twitter.

Even the wide receiver's name calling couldn't stop the Jets front office from adding the speedy Edwards to the offense-starved roster.

"I really thought that there was no way that the Jets were interested ..." Edwards said. "After the tweet, it was like, 'Yeah, I burned that bridge.'"

Even so, there was Edwards standing by his locker talking about playing again on Monday and being sort of contrite for his remark.

"I didn't have to apologize, but chose to," said Edwards about his dig at either head coach Rex Ryan or general manager Mike Tannenbaum.  "It was a statement that was made in the heat of the moment ... we're past that."


While the consensus is that Edwards' Twitter jab was clearly directed at Tannenbaum, Ryan was back doing his old stand-up routine and joked about his new receiver's tweets while deflecting them at the same time.

"I'm happy to see him despite his obvious comment," said a smiling Ryan.  "I look at it this way, tantamount, Mike and I are just saying he's [Edwards] talking about you ... no, he's talking about you.  So we're both okay with it."

It's strange how playoff contention can make Ryan's he means you routine get a chuckle.  It wasn't exactly Abbott & Costello's baseball classic, but it's been a while since Ryan felt like he was standing at the mike of The Comedy Store.

"There's a lot of comments that get fired at me," Ryan said.  "I'm OK with them. I've always been a big fan of Braylon because I like the way he plays."



Edwards talked with Tannenbaum when they ran in to each other in the cafeteria. Talk about how the Jets handled Mark Sanchez seemed to be an after thought.

"He was just as  happy to see me or so it seemed," said Edwards.  "The awkwardness wasn't there."

No comments:

Post a Comment