Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Yankees Fan Serves Court Papers To Red Sox Pitcher Before Key Game

A New York Yankees fan served court papers to Boston Red Sox pitcher Erik Bedard just hours before the pitcher was set to take the mound in a key game against the Baltimore Orioles yesterday at Fenway Park.

The life-long Yankees fan, Tom Cabral, served the papers while proudly wearing a Yankees shirt.

Cabral, who didn't hide his team's allegiance, served Bedard on behalf of the pitcher's ex-girlfriend, Courtney Roberts, who is suing the lefthander for child support.

It was a chore lots of Yankees fans would have gleefully done for free.  Cabral had the dubious honor, but was only doing his job.

"When I walked in, I was like, I'm a Yankees fan, but I'm not trying to [give you a hard time]," Cabral recalled.  "I told him that and said, 'Sorry, I've got to do this.'  But he said it was no problem.  I handed him the copies of all the documents and he signed them."

Even with the Yankees attire, Cabral walked away from the incident unscathed.

Red Sox management even kidded Cabral about his timing.

"[The Red Sox] legal department was joking with me about it.  They were saying, 'That's why you're so adamant about doing it today-- you're a Yankees fan."

Slapping Bedard with the legal papers from Massachusetts Probate and Family Court right before the reeling Red Sox were set to play an important game was not Cabral's idea.

"The Red Sox were very cooperative," Cabral said.  "They asked if I could serve these tomorrow because he was starting tonight.  My position was, 'My client wants it served today, and that's what I have to do."

Sounds like Bedard's ex-girlfriend isn't a Sox fan anymore.

Bedard didn't make it through the third inning and the Orioles beat the Red Sox, 7-5.

No comments:

Post a Comment